buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Meal planning for the month

So, tomorrow is my payday - aka the 4th Thursday of the month, which is the magical day when the Social Security Administration decides that we can have our money. And since we only get money one time per month (dependable money, at least) I do my big grocery shopping on that day.

I've been winging it the last few months and have just been going to the store and buying whatever. But I decided to try to be somewhat organized this month. So, I printed out a calendar, marked the days that I have all of the kids vs. just the younger two, and started planning meals around that. And once I had all of the meals done, I made a grocery list.

Yes, I even color-coded.
I don't know that I'll actually get the shopping done tomorrow as I had planned - it's going to depend on how quickly I get everything paid in the morning and on how I'm feeling, but it'll all be done in the next few days, and then theoretically I shouldn't have to go back to the store other than to get things like milk and eggs and such. I might even spend tomorrow searching for coupons if I'm feeling so inclined.

I'm even going to attempt to pre-make some meals and stick them in the freezer so that all I have to do on the really crazy nights is thaw it and cook it.

Can you tell that I'm trying desperately to be organized? I'll let y'all know how it works out for me. ;)

12 comments:

  1. This is how I grocery shop. Only I do it every two weeks. I make a menu for every night, and buy only what I need for those meals. If there's any extra money I may buy snacks or something 'fun'. Keeps the cost of groceries way down since I'm not buying a bunch of stuff that doesn't make up a meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done it before, but I didn't stick to it. I need to do it and do it right so that we don't spend so much (and so that we don't waste as much food too).

      Delete
  2. Sounds like something I should do.
    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do it half a week to 1 week at a time (mostly because our veggies go kaput very quickly and we like to have fresh veggies). I sit down with Pinterest (and I'm working on pinning our tried and true recipes too) and the calendar for the week along with the sales flier from our grocery store. It takes forever when we're getting out of a food rut, but honestly, the rest of my week is so stress free, I'm starting to learn to JUST DO IT. I have the meals written into my google calendar (lunches and dinners) with a link to the recipe if it's online. And then I have day of the week paper that I write it in and put it on the fridge, one for school lunch and one for dinner. Even the school lunches are planned out so I know what days we ordred hot lunches and what days we need packed lunches (and then we make that many sandwiches on Sunday night. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You are way more organized than I am! But, I hope to get to that point eventually. Right now, with my main source of income coming in once per month, I am trying to stock up as much as I can, and then only go back to the store for the perishable stuff.

      I did have to make just a quick run today to get some stuff, but I'm hoping to get my "big" trip done tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. Hey! I found these great tupperwear! They are MADE for freezing meals. This way, it gets frostbitten way less. I still put them in the ziplock bag... but, that's because I'm nuts.

    I made a casserole this week, and I made it in bulk, and managed to freeze 2 tupperwear containers (enough for two portions each). And then this week I'll make another meal in bulk and do the same thing.
    This way, I am not forced to pre-cook a MOUNTAIN of food and freeze it. It's just TOO much for me to do in one day.

    The veggies are difficult though, and the fresh fruit. I find I have to do that weekly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I do hope to get a bunch of Tupperware type stuff - I used to sell it and I know how wonderful it is! But, for now I'm just going to stock up on cheapy foil pans and whatnot - today I made a double batch of chicken enchiladas, one for tonight and one is in the freezer for later. I'm going to do the same thing that you are and basically double cook as much as I can so that I don't have to do it all at once!

      Delete
  5. I shop twice a month because it's the chore I hate the mostest. I do what you do - plan the menus out and buy based on that. We eat a lot of beans and rice. Cheap, nutritious, and there's a lot we can do with them.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I despise to shop. I went today to get some stuff, and they've rearranged my entire grocery store in the last few days. I can't even begin to describe how much that annoys me. A trip that should have taken 30 minutes took more like an hour because I couldn't find anything. >:(

      Delete
  6. I started doing that too. Right now, I am not. I should go back to it. But I am trying to do pantry inventory so I use/cook whatever we have. But the best thing is that we have not eaten out in almost 3 months. Cheers to you. Let us know how it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it's been pretty good. I've shifted the menu around a bit here and there but for the most part I'm sticking to it, and I haven't had to pick up too many odds and ends from the store yet. It's just going to take a while to really get into the swing of things!

      Delete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.