buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Another trip to the dentist

Alex and Daniel had dentist appointments this morning.

Getting the kids to the dentist is always a challenge for me. Not that it's hard to get them there, since it's only about 7 or 8 blocks from my house - I mean really, I got out of the shower at 8:15 and still had them there by 8:30 - but because I *hate* the dentist. Not this particular dentist - he's great. I just hate dentists. Period.

I swear, if I could get a prescription for valium before I had to take the kids in there, it would be much better - for everyone involved. I haven't been to the dentist personally in about 10 years - and I'm ok with that, even with my molar that's been broken for that long. I know I should go, but I just can't do it. Little pieces of that tooth keep breaking off, but I'm ok with it. I'd rather have a huge hole in my mouth and deal with excruciating pain than take myself to the dentist and have it fixed.

I know, I know - I need to get over it. I need to go. I know I need to go. I just haven't worked up the nerve to do it yet. I actually talked to the receptionist a couple of years ago, and it would take a minimum of 6 months to schedule an appointment to get me in - and of course I'd have to have the cash in hand to go since I don't have insurance - so yeah, I'll schedule the appointment as soon as I win the lottery and get a prescription for really good happy drugs.

But, I take the kids every time that they have an appointment. And I have to sit on the floor of the exam room while the dentist is doing his thing. The kids love to go there, and they do great. I, on the other hand, would be curled up in the fetal position on the floor if there was enough room to do it. Instead, today I distracted myself by messaging back and forth with The Dude the whole time that we were there. I'm sure that it irritated the dentist, but I think that it was better than me sitting there, hyperventilating and drooling on myself.

The boys did great. Two perfect checkups.







So now we're good to go...for about another 3 weeks, when I have to take the older 3 kids in - all of them, at the same time. So that I can sit on the floor and freak out through 3 appointments.

Please pass the drugs.

10 comments:

  1. I hate to say this, but...if you don't go and get it taken care of, one of these days (and it will be at the worst moment) you will have a HUGE PAINFUL problem to deal with.
    Don't be a wimp...go deal with it. Trust me...in the last 10 years, Dentists have all sorts of awesome new techniques.
    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh huh. Sure.

    This is one situation where I am ok with being a wimp.

    The only technique I need is a strong enough sedative to knock my butt out so that I don't feel a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will drag you to the dentist, strapped, immobilized, to a backboard, if you don't go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They CAN knock you out.
    B

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've reminded me that I need to take Emry into the dentist.

    Oh Shoot.

    I too, hate the dentist

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha, yeah, you've reminded me too that I need to take kiddo to the dentist!
    New Stalker/FB fan here :)
    Love what you're doin' Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, they have lovely 'gas' to make everything nice!
    Don't wait until your kids have to get on your case to go!
    baby steps...you can do it...
    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.