buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Mom

I got one of *those* phone calls tonight. You know the kind - the phone rings and you see that it's a family member, and you're not expecting a call - and your heart jumps into your throat before you even answer it. And you can tell by the tone of the voice on the other end that it's not good.

And it wasn't good.

It was my sister, letting me know that our mother is in the hospital. She fell this afternoon and broke her shoulder. I don't have a lot of details at this point, but apparently she was helping Dad to split some firewood, and she was heading back into or toward the house. Dad heard her scream and found her where she had fallen.

She somehow got to the hospital - I assume that he took her and didn't call an ambulance. She's been admitted and will be having surgery sometime in the next day or two. They're also doing some tests on some other issues while she's there.

Dad will be 85 next week, and Mom will be 83 the week after that. Not a good time in her life to be dealing with a severe injury - not that there is ever a good time.

So, here I am, stuck in Kansas while she's in the hospital in Pennsylvania.

Waiting for the phone to ring.

Waiting for updates.

Just....waiting.

8 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about this. I will pray for your Mom and family. I hope that her surgery goes well and she makes a a full recovery.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Amy...have so been there this last year and i feel your sense of helplessness. Prayers...and lots of them for you and your family. and a few tight hugs for good measure...
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not much fun watching parents grow older and frailer when you live far away. I'm not quite as far along the path as you are but I can empathize for sure. Our prayers for your mom's speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that feeling well Amy. Even though it wasn't my parent, we were living in Scotland when my dear grandpa was in and out of the hospital. Of course I couldn't make it home to be there and I know the waiting game for the phone call is nerve-racking. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I SURE UNDERSTAND HOW YOUR FEELING. I WILL LIFT YOU AND YOURS UP. I WISH THERE WOULD BE A WAY FOR YOU TO GET HOME. I HOPE SOME OF YOUR FRIENDS STEP UP AND HELP YOU OUT THERE. I CAN REMEMBER BACK IN THE DAY THE CHURCH WOULD BE THERE FOR YOU AT A BLINK OF AN EYE. NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE. A COLLECTION WOULD BE TAKEN TO HELP AND THE FAMILIES WOULD HELP OUT WITH THE CHILDREN.

    KEEP US POSTED ON THE OUTCOME. GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone. I haven't heard anything else yet today - just sitting tight at this point.

    Granny, I'm not going to try to go back at this point. I can't do anything to help, so I'll just wait and see what happens. If the time comes that I have to get there, I'll make it happen, one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry Amy! There are lots of prayers for your mom and family! Seems like yesterday we went through so much with mom! I hope and pray that all goes well. hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.