buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Working backwards. Gotta' love it.

So I've mentioned this quilt block swap that I'm in - I make 16 identical blocks, mail them to the coordinator, and I get 16 different blocks in return. Or, I can opt to make 32 and get 32 different ones back. Pretty cool concept, yes?

This is what the first 16 looked like. Oh, we were told basically to use a black value for the background and a fall print for the leaf. Everyone that is participating was given the same instructions, so theoretically everyone will choose different fabrics, but they'll all have the same theme. But I digress.....

I got the first 16 done and was all sorts of proud of myself. I even went out and bought more fabric to do another 16. I'm not as crazy about this fabric, but when it's all mixed in with all of the other blocks, it'll be fine. That's one of the beauties of quilting.

I started cutting out the second set and getting them ready to put together into the bigger blocks. Then I started looking back at the first set. Then I got out a ruler.

Then I smacked myself upside the head. Very hard.

Apparently, what I've always believed to be the 1/4" seam allowance marking on my sewing machine isn't really 1/4". So all 16 of the blocks were about 1/4-1/2" too small. ALL OF THEM.

Normally, it hasn't been a big deal. Think about it - I make 11,736 blocks for a quilt (ok, maybe not, but stay with me...) and when I'm done, the quilt looks fine. That's because every single one of those 11,736 blocks was put together in the same wrong way.

If I do my blocks for the swap wrong, and everyone else participating does it right, I'm going to screw up everyone else's finished project.

Yep. So what did I spend last evening and this afternoon doing?

Yep. Sitting on the couch and tearing each square apart, piece by piece. Then ironing them flat again so that I can sew them together again. Correctly. And you can bet that I'm going to be measuring every. single. seam. allowance.

*sigh*

Then I get to start on the second set of 16. Because I'm nuts like that.



5 comments:

  1. What's that old adage? "Measure twice, cut once"? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH AMY, AMY, AMY, GIGGLE GIGGLE. I KNOW NOT FUNNY BUT THERE HAS TO BE A LITTLE HUMOR HERE SOMEWHERE.

    HOW'S YOUR MOM AND DAD DOING?

    GRANNT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to learn to quilt. I think I am jealous...even of the mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :P to both of you! LOL I know, it was a ridiculous mistake, but at least I finally figured it out....

    Granny, they're doing ok. I talked to Mom for a while yesterday (or was it the day before?) and she sounded better than usual but said that Dad hasn't been feeling well. It's always something. =/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cmom, it's really not that difficult - the piecing part at least. If you can follow directions and sew in a straight line, you can piece a quilt top fairly quickly. There are tons of books at the library - I just got a bunch yesterday because I have all sorts of ideas bouncing around in my head and I need to get them out!

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.