buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Monday, August 1, 2011

It's all fun and games.......

......until a boulder flies at your van.

We were on I-70, still in PA and were behind a dump truck. The truck started spewing pebbles out from under the lift gate on the back so I figured I would try to pass him to keep my windshield intact.

The pebbles quickly turned into golfball sized rocks which then became baseball sized. Suddenly a boulder dropped out of the truck. It hit the ground, bounced a few times, and then slid right for us.

I tried everything to avoid it, but was limited by traffic and the concrete barrier to my left. I slammed into it, let out an extremely loud expletive and pulled over. I have no idea how I managed to avoid an accident.

Anyway, bottom line is that we're ok. The bumper is jacked up and the foglight is gone - not broken, GONE. Figures - I just replaced the bulb the day before we left. But I don't care. The van can be fixed. It still runs and even seems to still be aligned. We're ok, and that's all that matters.

We did make it to Indianapolis, had dinner with a friend, saw my cousin, and all 3 boys are currently swimming in the jacuzzi tub before going to bed.

I have a tentative adventure planned for tomorrow.....we'll see if it happens or not.

10 comments:

  1. ooooh my!!! So glad you and the kiddos are ok! That could have ended up a very nasty booboo! Have a safe rest of the trip and return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate dump trucks...Glad you are OK.
    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is why you're not allowed to have anything nice. you just can't take care of it. Lol. glad you're all okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, it's illegal for that truck not to have it's cargo properly restrained. They are actually responsible for paying for all the damages! If you know what kind of truck it was or got a license tag, you can call it in to the police station in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMY, I WISH YOU KNEW THE TRUCK CO. THAT HAPPEN TO GRAMPS AND ME AND I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET THE PHONE NUMBER OFF THE TRUCK. WE CALLED AND WITH NO PROBLEMS THEY CUT A CHECK AFTER GRAMPS CALLED TO SEE HOW MUCH IT WOULD COST TO HAVE IT FIX. JUST LUCKY I GUESS. THE TRUCK WAS CARRYING A LOAD OF STONE. THEY WERE JUST BOUNCING OFF THE TRUCK LIKE SNOW.
    I'M SO GLAD YOU WERE HURT. I'M SIL SMASH HIS CAR ON THE WAY HOME FROM WORK FRIDAY MORNING. THEY JUST MADE THEIR FIRST PAYMENT. SECOND CAR TOTALED IN TWO YEARS. JUST MADE ME SICK TO MY STOMACH. I PRAY THE REST OF YOUR TRIP WILL GO SMOOTH.NEVER STAY BEHING CARS PULLING CAMPERS OR BOAT. I HAVE A STORY ON THAT ALSO.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you all are ok and your van seems to be fine for what its been thru. Luv the pics, enjoy your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea what kind of truck it was or anything - it all happened too quickly and there was too much traffic. As I told a friend, I was too busy trying not to die to look for a license plate number.

    I know that I could probably do some investigating and eventually track the guy down, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal to me. The van is still drivable and no one got hurt - so I pay the deductible, get it fixed, and move on. If it had been worse (like if it had to be towed or if someone had gotten hurt) then yes, I would be going after him. To me, this is one of those "pick your battles" kind of things, and I have more important things to worry about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How scary and what a hassle. I'm glad the damage was comparatively minimal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BrightenedBoy - exactly. Minimal damage, for the amount of travelling that we did (and considering just how bad it could have been)!

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.