buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Today was rough.

It was just one of those days.

The older 3 came back from their father's house at 7:30am. It was early for them and it was early for me, especially since I woke up with a splitting headache. They were grouchy, I was grouchy. Bad combination.

The plan for the day was to straighten up the house a bit, then enjoy the 100+ degree heat and go to the lake for a while, then maybe to Burger King for supper, and get a movie to watch this evening.

The attitudes started almost immediately. Bickering led to arguing led to screaming led to fist fights and on and on...I couldn't even begin to count how many times various kids were sent to their rooms to chill out, and then it would start over again.

I'd ask (tell) them to do something - "pick up those shoes and put them in your closet" - and would either be ignored or, worse yet - hear "but I don't want toooooooooo".

Asking them didn't work. Telling them didn't work. Bribing didn't work.

At one point I quit and tried to focus on fixing the vacuum. It works fine, but the "retractable" cord doesn't retract anymore, thanks to *someone* yanking it out too far. I tore it apart, but couldn't get to the part that is supposed to spin to retract the cord, so I gave up and put it back together. It still works. The cord is just annoying.

Finally, I ended up basically standing over the kids telling them "You - put those shoes away. You - throw that in the trash. You - put that plate in the sink." But we finally got the house looking halfway decent.

Then there was more fighting. And bickering. And fist fights. And a toileting accident, which led to an early bedtime for one ticked off 5 year old who should have known better in the first place.

Supper was had. Some TV was watched. Some peace overcame the chaos.

So tomorrow, since we're theoretically starting out with a clean house, we will attempt the lake.

Please, let us get there this time.

12 comments:

  1. Is it a full moon or something? My kids have been like this the last couple of days too. It's driving me nuts! They can't seem to leave each other alone.

    I hope you make it to the lake tomorrow. Sounds like fun

    Kar
    http://flipsidesanity.blogspot.com
    http://flipsideumami.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. Rough days like that are never any fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sucked, to put it mildly. Wednesdays are notoriously rough because it's the day that my older 3 come back from their father's house (we have 50/50 custody) and so they have to adjust to being back over here. Today was just way worse than normal.

    I *think* I got it through to them this time. The lake trip was the first thing to be taken away, then Burger King. Then they had the opportunity to earn BK back (I really didn't want to cook tonight) but they screwed that up and it got taken away again. They were mad by the end of the night that we didn't do anything, but oh well.

    Here's to hoping that tomorrow (today) will be better. It's going to be 104 degrees, so it's perfect lake weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope today is better. What a tough way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO FUNNY FOR A GRANNY. I ALWAY WOULD THINK WHEN THE GRANDKIDS WERE LITTLE AND PULLING THIS KIND OF STUFF, HA HA PAYBACK TIME. OUR YOUNGEST GRAND CHILD IS A CLOWN AND GETS AWAY WITH ALOT. I'M SURE IT'S BECAUSE OF HER WIT. HOW CAN ONE NOT LAUGH AT SOME OF THE STUFF THEY PULL. DO ANYTHING BUT DON'T TAKE AWAY MY BK.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMY, THE COOLER IS MADE BY COLEMAN AND WE BOUGHT OURS AT WALMART. IF YOU STAY AT A MOTEL MAKE SURE YOU TAKE IT IN WITH YOU AND PLUG IT IN. DON'T LEAVE IT IN THE CAR ANY LONGER THAN A COUPLE HOURS WHEN YOUR CAR IS TURNED OFF. YOU'LL NEVER REGRET SPENDING THE MONEY. IT PAYS FOR ITSELF OVER A PERIOD OF TIME. EVEN GOING TO THE BEACH. YOU CAN ALWAYS PUT A COUPLE BOTTLES OF FROZEN WATER IN THE COOLER TO KEEP THINGS COLD JUST DON'T LET WATER GATHER ON THE BOTTOM WHEN I GO ON A TRIP I FREEZE BOTTLES OF WATER JUST TO DRINK. NO SUGAR I FOUND KEEPS KIDS CALM WHEN TRAVELING. GOOD LUCK.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  7. FORGOT TO SAY WE KEEP OURS IN THE CAR ALL THE TIME. THIS WAY IF YOU BUY MEAT, ICE CREAM ETC YOU CAN GET IT HOME SAFELY.IF YOU BUY IT USE IT.ON TRIPS TO THE STORE.JUST PLUG IT IN BEFORE YOU GO SHOPPING AND WHEN YOU COME OUT IT'LL BE COLD. JUST DON'T FORGET TO UNPLUG THE PLUG.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww, I hope today is a MUCH better day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Granny, I will definitely check into that! Thanks for the info!

    JDaniel4's Mom and Christi - so far so good. We are in our suits and sunscreened up. We are heading for the lake, come hell or high water!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hoping today is a much better day than yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh boy, I do not like those kind of days!! Seems like we have alot of the fighting going on too lately.. Guess I need to find something for them to do so they're not bugging each other so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those days are hard. The adjustment period with Mini-Me was nerve wracking everytime she came back from my ex's! I can sympathize!

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.